Well, finally! Anthem Blue Cross members who before this year routinely got their prescriptions filled at their local Walgreens drugstore, can finally return! That’s because Express Scripts, one of the county’s largest pharmacy benefit managers, has finally agree on a new contract with Walgreens, which means that anyone whose prescriptions go through Express Scripts will again be able to get their prescriptions filled at Walgreens..
Express Scripts processed 750 million prescriptions last year alone, including for health insurance giant Wellpoint which runs Anthem Blue Cross. The whole ordeal was especially galling to Anthem Blue Cross members who saw their health insurance premiums go up last year. Anthem members who had been filling their prescriptions at their local Walgreens had to find a new drugstore if they wanted to continue getting their meds covered by their health insurance.
Considering Walgreens is the largest drugstore chain the nation, the stand-off between the health care giants was more than a little inconvenient and expensive considering the gas and time needed to go to another drugstore.
- Anthem Blue Cross Will Stop Covering Prescriptions From Walgreens on January 1
- Is Walgreens Still in Your Health Insurance Network?
- Anthem Blue Cross Agrees to Limit Health Insurance Hikes For Some Members
- California Regulator Calls Anthem Blue Cross Health Insurance Hikes “Unreasonable,” Blue Cross Says, So What?
- Verdict in the Anthem Blue Cross Transplant Lawsuit Finally Comes Down