We’ve talked a lot about the huge problem with medical billing mistakes, but this one takes the cake. An Illinois breast cancer survivor was jailed over a mistaken $280 medical bill:
In the latest example of aggressive debt collector tactics, an Illinois woman found herself jailed over a bill she didn’t even owe in the first place.
Breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay of Herrin, Illinois was put in debtors’ prison over a $280 medical bill that was sent to her by accident, the Associated Press reports (h/t The Daily Mail). Even after Lindsay was told she didn’t have to pay the bill, it was sent to a collection agency. Eventually state troopers took her from her home in handcuffs. Lindsay ended up having to pay $600 to settle the charges.
We don’t even know what to make of this one.
Have you ever gotten a mistaken medical bill? Tell us about it in our discussion forum!
- Would Breast Cancer Send YOU Into Medical Bankruptcy?
- Free Breast Cancer Screenings and Mammograms in Brooklyn on July 27th and 29th… Register Now!
- Financial Resources for Breast Cancer Patients
- Medicaid Denies Patient Treatment for Breast Cancer… Because He’s a Man
- Free Breast Cancer Screenings for Uninsured Women in Louisiana on January 11th