With 50.7 million uninsured Americans, this weekend we thought we would highlight one of the organizations which is doing its part in bringing healthcare to the uninsured: the Georgia Free Clinic Network (GFCN).
The GFCN was founded in 2003. It is the statewide association of free and charitable medical and dental clinics in Georgia. These clinics, which vary in size and scope of services, are each uniquely dedicated to serving many of Georgia’s more than 1.7 million uninsured. Staffed primarily by volunteers, these non-profit organizations reach out to their communities with an unwavering commitment to local populations. According to the Georgia State Auditor, these clinics provide $200 to $400 million of care while only reaching 10 percent of the uninsured population. Charitable clinics provide the health care safety net in communities, especially in rural areas, serving homeless individuals and those with chronic and life-threatening illnesses such as cancer, hypertension, and diabetes.
However, most importantly for us, the GFCN website has a great feature that allows you to enter your zip code and find free clinic in Georgia that is closest to you, which we think can save any Georgian precious time in searching for affordable healthcare in their area. Community free clinics generally provide basic healthcare to all, including the uninsured, either for free or on a sliding-scale basis. In economic hard times, they provide a vital safety net for uninsured and low-income Americans.
Are you looking for affordable healthcare in Georgia? Tell us about it!
- 4th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina And Oil Spill: Remote Area Medical To Provide Free Healthcare Clinic In New Orleans August 27-29
- California Community Free Clinics Turn to Loans to Survive Budget Impasse
- Reminder: Remote Area Medical Free Medical and Dental Clinic Returns to New Orleans, August 27-29
- Mobile Mammography Vans Can Bring Free and Low-Cost Mammograms To You
- Back to School: Free or Affordable Vision Care and Glasses? Mobile Vision Clinics May Be Able to Help You