For the tenth straight year, Nashville General Hospital is offering free mammograms during its annual Mammograms in May event. Uninsured women who have not had a mammogram in the past year and are over the age of 40 are eligible to receive a mammogram for free. The free annual program takes place on the main floor of the Nashville General’s Breast Health Center located at 1818 Albion Street.
Funding from sponsors such as the Komen Foundation and the Tennessee Breast Cancer Coalition allows the screenings to be open to insured and uninsured women. In the past nine years, the hospital has provided over 3,000 mammograms.
The American Cancer Society recommends that women receive an annual mammogram starting at age 40, obtain an annual clinical breast exam by a healthcare professional and perform monthly breast self-exams.Breast cancer is the disease many women fear the most, and early detection and treatment can dramatically improve a woman’s chances of survival. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women, exceeded only by lung cancer. If detected early – and mammography is the best way to do that – the five-year survival rate for patients is more than 90 percent.
To schedule a mammogram, call 615-341-4447.
Have you had your mammogram this year? Tell us about it in our discussion forum!
- Nashville General Hospital Offers Free Mammograms to Uninsured Women in May
- UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital Offers Free Mammograms January 15, February 19, March 19 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Highland Breast Imaging Center in Rochester, NY Offers Free Mammograms May 14th
- ECMC Offers Free Mammograms in Buffalo, New York on June 18th
- Beverly Oncology Offers Free Mammograms in Montebello, California on February 11th